Tuesday, June 23, 2009












Reporting on: Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Riding Route: Little Falls to Albany, NY
Temperature: 69 - 83 degrees/Winds: 10-15 mph
Elevation Climb: 2900 feet
Miles Ridden Today: 69 miles




We had a wonderful ride today along Route 5 East - 38 miles of 2 lanes - but with little traffic. We passed through a few towns - but mostly followed the Mohawk River on the right - and wooded forest areas on the left! (Would a forest area be anything but wooded?) UGH! About 30 miles outside of Albany began to be in an area that was town after town! We had traffic, traffic signals, stop signs and way to many people! Where were those country roads that were so peaceful?




We passed several historical sites - the major one being Fort Klock. The fort is part of a 30-acre complex that includes an historic homestead, a renovated Colonial Dutch Barn, blacksmith shop, and 19th century schoolhouse. It was built in 1750 by Johannes Klock...and was a trading post and fortification for farmers in the French and Indian War - and again against the British and their allies in the Revolutionary War. The thick stone walls of Fort Klock have firing ports, allowing the occupiers to fire rifles at attackers. They do reenactments here throughout the year.




After our ride I took a 2 hour nap... then gave Peter and Al their haircuts! Yep, I've converted a few of the guys to my easy style of hair! I gave myself one too - so I'll look good for the finish line!



Later I met my friend, Frank Dorrance, from Aird Dorrance in Ballston, NY (picture above). They are a consulting client of mine... who specialize in the plumbing, industrial and building materials business. Thanks Frank for a great evening! I really enjoyed it! I can't tell my readers how nice it's been to renew acquaintances along the way! It's certainly added to the quality of my trip!



Tomorrow and the next day will be the 3rd and 4th biggest climbing days of our trip. Tomorrow is 6100 feet and the next day is 5600 feet! I think they're trying to do us in on the last days! Only three days to go and your's truly will have completed the ride! Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment